The beautiful 16th century Veerabhadra temple, also known as Lepakshi temple, is located in southern Andhra Pradesh. It has 70 massive pillars built in the Vijayanagar style, out of which one pillar is the most intriguing. This pillar, unlike other pillars, does not touch the ground and hangs from the ceiling, leaving a noticeable space. People who visit the temple, pass a piece of cloth through the space.
The temple, located in Anantapur district in southern Andhra Pradesh, vijayanagara Lepakshi temple was built by the brothers Viranna and Virupanna during the reign of Achyutha Devaraya period whVijayanagaraempire from 1530 A.D to 1542 A.D. This temple, on a hillock known as Kurma Saila (tortoise shaped hill), is a treasure-house of beautiful Vijyanagara style of architecture and eye-catching paintings of 16th AD. There are three temples in one.
During the British period During the British period a curious British engineer wanted to know the technicality behind the hanging pillar in this temple. Upon trying to dislodge the pillar, to his dismay, found out that it caused the movement of adjacent pillars to maintain the equilibrium. Though it is not an earthquake area (supposedly ”Shield” area and geologically stable),the temple, it is believed, can withstand any seismic event.